Feb 23, 2009

Regarding My Blog...

It seems that, recently, my blog has been visited by non-family members, which came as a bit of a surprise. Yes, my blog is public, but this was generally intended for family members to keep up on Esther's growth.

Overall, I am glad that others read it and that they feel free to comment.Still, while I don't mind comments, I do not appreciate the content of some of them (and, yes, I have deleted the ones I find offensive).

First, let me state that I do believe my daughter is advanced and this is not only because the doctor has stated such. My pediatrician is very straight-forward and mindful of the average stages of development for infants and lets us know it like it is. I have also read up on child development and have spoken with several people with infants. Not all children develop at the same time. This isn't a bad thing - every child is different and some develop their motors skills before others. Esther just happens to be the kind of baby that hates immobility. Both my husband and I were like this as babies, so it is no surprise that our daughter is.

If what I write about my daughter offends or demeans anyone in any way, I am sorry, but I have the freedom to "brag" all I want about my child. I can almost bet that every other parent does the exact same thing when speaking or writing in regards to their children. What kind of mom would I be if I went around and said, "Oh, she's just average"? Good moms are proud moms. And I would like to think that I am a pretty good mother. Not perfect by any means, but not bad for a first timer.

Secondly, when it comes to parenting, I firmly believe that each child is different and, as such, each parenting style will differ. I surmise this will be true child to child.I am a first time mom, I'll give you that, but the beauty of "the first time" is that I get to grow and learn what works for me.

I am not opposed to advice in general. People can give me pointers if they want, just expect that I will take everything with a grain of salt. I'll dig through the loads of advice and decide whether or not it applies to Esther.

What I truly reject is people getting into my face and telling me that "this is how it has to be done." Infants are not similar enough that the same parenting methods can be used for all of them. You are oblivious to the uniqueness of human beings if you think this is the case.

I am not trying to discourage people from posting comments on my blog. I will moderate to a certain degree, but, really, if you feel the need to comment on something I have written, please do. I will, however, comment back from time-to-time.

For my family members, I apologize that this post is not really related to you or to my immediate family. I wanted to make a defense against what I believe is an unfair estimation of my parenting skills. Esther is developing wonderfully and, in my eyes, is a perfect, wonderful child.

Thank you,

Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment