Jan 21, 2009

Being a Working Mom...

People are quick to judge those of us who work and raise children. Since becoming a mother, I myself have heard people pass judgement because of my decision to return to work. The reasoning behind these criticisms is that some believe that working mothers are choosing their careers or jobs over their children. To some, a woman cannot be an adequate mother unless she is a stay at home mother.



What I have learned, though, since returning to work (maybe even before) is that my choice to work was the most difficult decision I have ever had to make. Why do I do it? It's not because I love my job more than Esther and it's not because I would be absolutely lost without work. I work so that I can help support my family.

Because I hold a job, my family has medical insurance, something we would not have otherwise. Because I hold a job, we're able to make a house payment and keep our lights on. We keep food on our table and heat in our home. We can buy diapers and baby care products without worrying where the money will come from. And, yes, we even afford certain luxuries we would not otherwise have.

Would I rather be home with my child? Most definitely. I think about being with Esther all the time (on a side note, I have been blessed with the ability to take her to work with me). Do I believe that, in modern society, it is difficult for a mother to stay home? Yes. In the real world, most women are forced to work. While most husbands hold full-time jobs, it is often not enough to carry all of the household needs. Some may believe it is worth sacrifice, but this is not true for everyone.

I, like any mother, want the best for my little girl. If working means that I can give it to her, then I will work. That does not mean that I am not considering ways to stay home or work part time. At this time it is just not viable. I am coming off 2 1/5 months of unpaid leave and it proved how difficult it would be for me to be unemployed.

Overall, I know that I am doing what is right for our family at this time. It may not be easy for everyone to understand (that being stated, there are some who do not understand why my husband would choose to work non-seasonal work. Go figure!), but those who have had to make the choice to work know where I am coming from.

God bless all the working moms out there! It is a labor of love!

1 comment:

  1. I agree Meg! It's such a huge conflict trying to do what is best for your family. I struggle with the same things every day.
    By the way, I love your new layout!

    ReplyDelete