Dec 29, 2011

The Wonders of a Family the Communicates

As mentioned in a previous post, our youngest daughter, Ruth, had tubes placed in her ears a little less than month ago. After two weeks of recovery and an ear infection, she went in for her follow up appointment and was given a good bill health.

 Not that we needed the doctor to confirm anything.

Her ears had cleared up from the infection days before her appointment, so that was great. Most importantly, within a day of the procedure her hearing improved 100%. Suddenly, the little girl that would ignore me until I was literally shouting was responding to her name and to basic directions. And she started speaking.

We haven't been able to get a word in since!

I have been amazed how quickly she started communicating since her hearing improved (I never realized just how bad it had been). She started off speaking in a very slow, halting manner as if she wanted to be sure that she was pronouncing the words correctly. After a couple weeks, however, she was speaking clearly and using full sentences to convey her needs. Within a day of the procedure, she started singing songs all the way through with only minor mistakes. Now, she sings countless songs and attempts to sing along at church or when I'm listening to music at home.

Like I stated, I am amazed at how quickly she picked up on things.

And now I have two very opinionated, very stubborn girls that can actually tell me what they want or why they are upset. It's a lot of fun...most days.

The new language development in Ruth (22 months) and the ever-increasing imagination and vocabulary in Esther (3 years, 2 months) makes me a little sad. My babies are growing up. The last few years are almost a blur.

Thankfully, I have another little guy or girl to look forward to and I plan to do my best to enjoy every last second of this baby's development. I am about 14 1/2 weeks along and am eager to feel the baby move regularly and to find out what we're having. Oh, and I can't wait until I actually look pregnant and not just fatter than usual.

Well, good bye for now!

- Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment